Is everything Black and White? Are the only answers really Yes and No? Or is there another option?
Uncertainty. I really don’t know?
What is Atheism?
Depending who you talk to, or where you search there are several definitions for atheism.
• The most common definition adopted by atheists is ‘A lack of belief, or disbelief in God/s, or deities.’
This is an example of Negative/Weak Atheism, where there’s disbelief but the person does not assert that there’s no God/s.
• Others will say that they do not believe in God/s, or deities.
This is an example of Positive/Strong Atheism, where they do not believe in God/s, but additionally asserts that there are no God/s.
• Another term to describe Atheism is the rejection of Theism.
Many people who I’ve spoken to claim that atheism is a belief system, a world view, or even a religion, when essentially it’s just ἄθεος (Atheos) meaning ‘without god(s)‘.
What is theism?
• Theism is the belief and/or Faith in a God, or God/s or deities, which generally involves doctrines and dogmas and the belief that God created the Universe and all within it.
• Monotheism is generally the most popular in modern society which means the belief in just one God. The Abrahamic God is the most worshipped around the world.
• Tritheism is the Christianity belief of the Holy trinity. The father, the son and the Holy Spirit.
• Ditheism (Cosmic Dualism) is the belief that there are two powers at work. The benevolent and the malevolent. Good and evil, which can be seen as a creator and a destroyer, but some believe in Bitheism which can sometimes imply harmony.
• Polytheism is the belief in more than one God. Hinduism, Mahayana Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism and Shintoism all observe polytheism.
• Deism derived from Latin in which ‘Deus means‘God’. This is a philosophical stance that puts God as the creator of the Universe, but does not interact with his creation.
There are plenty more types of theism and it can all get confusing as to what’s what and who’s who.
What is Agnosticism?
• Agnosticism is a stance that suggests the existence of God/s, deities or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable. Meaning that there’s insufficient evidence to prove, or disprove God/s, deities and the supernatural.
Professor Thomas Henry Huxley, a biologist and anthropologist, invented the term agnostic in the 19th century, when he said that there are no ways to prove or disprove the existence of God using scientific methods.
‘That it is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can provide evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts and in my opinion, is all that is essential to agnosticism.’ – Huxley
So atheism is a lack of belief, or not believing in God/s and theism is believing in God/s. So it all comes down to belief, or lack of belief.
Belief is accepting that something is true, or real, that’s especially without proof. Faith is similar in the fact that there’s no evidence. At the end of the day these are just opinions without any basis to back it up. So if everyone is being honest then are we all Agnostic, as we cannot provide evidence to refute or prove God/s?
Thomas Henry Huxley 1825 – 1895