We’ve all been told by a creationist that Noah lived until a ripe old age, and during that time he built an ARK, after being warned by YHWH that a global flood was coming, but is any of it verifiable, believable, practical or achievable?
“Now the flood was on the earth forty days. The waters increased and lifted up the ark, and it rose high above the earth. The waters prevailed and greatly increased on the earth, and the ark moved about on the surface of the waters. And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered. And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man.” – Genesis 7: 17 – 21
• 1: Currently scientists think there are over 10,000,000 species of life on the planet. Over 1,000,000 are animals. How would the animals have all fit on the Ark? If they didn’t, where did they go? The current life on Earth is approximately 0.01 percent of life that’s existed on Earth throughout its existence, and a mass of life has been made extinct through catastrophic world events, but none of them were because of a flood.
• 2: There are limits to how big wooden ships can be build due to structural integrity. How many animals could fit on a ship whose size is limited? The Bible says Ark, not Arks. Creationists like Ken Ham believes we coexisted with dinosaurs despite evidence showing that dinosaurs lived between 245 and 66 million years ago, in a time known as the Mesozoic Era. The dinosaurs became extinct 60,000,000 years before humans first appeared.
• 3: There are no records from any civilisation of the Biblical Flood, yet theists claim the Biblical account is factual and a relevant addition to the history of the world. Egypt is right next to Canaan, but do they ever mention that one morning they noticed that the desert was a little moist? The pyramids are worn through sand and wind erosion, and there’s no evidence whatsoever that they’ve suffered water damage.
• 4: If the world flooded it would have mixed salt water and fresh water together. How could life have survived, like Fresh water fish or plants that can’t perform osmosis because the salt would have dehydrated them resulted in their death. Plants require sunlight to perform photosynthesis, and if they are under water, this cannot happen. Yet the rainforests in South America contain billions of trees and plants, and has existed as a land mass since the Eocene epoch which ended 39,000,000 years ago.
• 5: There are currently estimated to be around 6,000 languages around the world. How did the languages survive, or develop in such a short time since the flood? Languages take a long time to develop, and some linguists claim it can be as long as a 1000 years before two languages become distinctly different.
• 6: If the Flood happened within the last 6 thousand years, and civilisations perished. Why are there Aborigines, samoans, Indian, Latino, Inuits, Arabic, African, Chinese, Japanese people who are all very distinctly different, if humanity was born from Noah’s family? The world would be Jewish, but there are currently less than 20,000,000 Jews on Earth according to a 2018 census, and in 2018 there were 7.6 billion people on Earth, which makes the Jewish population less than 3%. We are supposed to just accept that the world’s population rose to 7.6 billion from ‘eight righteous people’, who God deemed to not be wicked.
• 7: If the water submerged everything, including Everest, where did the water go afterwards?
“and the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.” – Genesis 8.3
• 8: Why has somewhere like the Grand Canyon got evidence of ice forming valleys, but no sea water damage, or that sea water or the life in sea water was ever there? There are no marine fossils in the Grand Canyon.
• 9: Who maintained the ARK, fed all the animals, toilet facilities, laundry, storage, segregation and sanitation? Considering there were a multitude of predators, including dinosaurs, how did Noah’s family manage to contain them, and keep them free from illness and disease?
• 10: Who took all of the animals back to where they belonged? The world would be unrecognisable. How would they know where they were taking them? Did Noah have Google Maps? The Arctic and Antarctic would have melted under the water, so where did the polar bears, penguins etc all live until the ice returned? How did the natural order of the food chain and the equilibrium of life return to normal after such an upheaval? Life on Earth is categorised in 5 ways; Monera (bacteria), Protista, Fungi, Plantae, and Animalia. Only Animalia was on the ARK… Biologists estimate up to 30,000,000 species of insects. Even if the number was closer to the 900,000 currently recognised, where did they all go during the flood?